image: header

image: inkwell header

Welcome to The Inkwell, the blog site of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) of Colorado.

Each week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, you can find a wide variety of topics and insight
from inspiration to instruction to humor and more!

For detailed information on ACFW, click here to visit their main website.

______________________________________________________

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Most of us love a good romance. If you don't believe it, check out the sales figures of romance novels, chick flicks and the like. I've always loved a good romance. I've been accused of being a hopeless romantic. I guess I can't argue too much. In high school I filled my boy friend's car with balloons and handmade hearts on Valentine's Day. He called me to report a "Valentine explosion."

I must still love romance. One thing that confirms it is that last Monday AND Tuesday I told myself I needed to write my monthly column for this blog. The problem is I never remembered to do it! See, I've started this new romance novella and . . . well, I got so lost in writing romance, I forgot to write ABOUT romance. While I'm sure nobody was breathlessly waiting for my next Inkwell post, I did feel kind-a bad about letting the blogging world down.

But instead of wallowing in guilt, I thought I'd post a few days late to share a few tricks with you that are working in my latest story. (And can I just say that I haven't had so much fun writing in YEARS?)

I'm sure what I'm about to tell you will not rock your world. You may even say, "I knew that" or "what a cliche." Here's the thing. When writing a romance novel, it really WORKS. Are you ready?

Opposites Attract.

There it is. My story is so much fun to create (and I hope to read) because I purposely set up several areas in which my characters are diametrically opposed. The heroine is passionate, fanciful, loves to celebrate, loves to serve people, and believes in going for your dreams. My hero is logical, no nonsense, afraid to celebrate, a little self-absorbed, and cautious about dreaming.

Can you see how much they need each other?

I can't wait, absolutely can't wait, until they become more and more involved in each other's life and discover how desperately they need what the other has to give.

(PS I loved Margie's blog, above. Beginning to know Jesus as my Bridegroom is taking my relationship with God to new depths. If you're interested in the way Christ has been romancing my heart, check out the posts on the Song of Solomon listed on the side bar of my blog.)


A writer, speaker, and homeschooling mother of four, Paula Moldenhauer is passionate about God’s grace and intimacy with Jesus. Her website, Soul Scents, offers a free weekly devotional, and you can visit her blog at GraceReign. Paula serves as president of HIS Writers, the north Denver ACFW chapter. A devoted Pride and Prejudice fan, she loves good conversation, peppermint ice cream, and walking barefoot. Her greatest desire is to be close enough to Jesus to live His fragrance.

1 comment:

Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Oh yeah! Romance is here to stay, and so are romance stories, because we all want and need romance in our lives. It's the way we're designed. Guess that's why we romance authors will never be without work. :)

And yes, opposites do attract, but they also complement in fantastic ways when they can get past the differences that might keep them apart. Looking forward to reading your novella sometime.

 
Copyright ACFW Colorado | Layout and Graphic Design Eagle Designs