image: header

image: inkwell header

Welcome to The Inkwell, the blog site of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) of Colorado.

Each week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, you can find a wide variety of topics and insight
from inspiration to instruction to humor and more!

For detailed information on ACFW, click here to visit their main website.

______________________________________________________

Friday, June 25, 2010

Regeneration

When I was given the assignment to enter the blog for today and was told my topic would be renewal I was not quite certain where I would go with this.

I find myself continually in a state of renewal with my Lord. I get on the right path spending time in the Word and journaling, but next thing I know I'm too busy, getting up too late in the morning or just totally distracted. Then one day I find myself searching for the Lord and not finding him. Oh, I know he's always there and it is me who gets lost not him. And that is where I've been for the past couple of months, lost.

I find when I'm in that dark place I try to fill the void with other things like food or shopping or television. But none of those things work and after all these years you would think I would know that. We humans are so hard headed at times I don't know why He puts up with us. He has to smile a knowing smile when he sees us darting about from one thing to the next trying to fill the emptiness and knowing it is Him we need and knowing one day soon we will return.

Amazing as it is I did not find the word renewal in my Strong's Concordance, but instead found regeneration, which directed me to scripture on renewal. In Nave's Topical Bible reference I found the definition of regeneration. It is the new birth, the inner recreating of fallen human nature by the gracious working of the Holy Spirit. It changes human disposition from godlessness, lawlessness, rebellion, self-seeking, and unbelief to a desire to love and serve God.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Isn't that what I've been doing when I find myself wrapped up in a world of me and not of Him. I've been rebellious and self-seeking trying to find something to make me feel better, when what I need is Him. Only in Him will I ever find true renewal and regeneration. He renewed me with his saving grace through Christ Jesus and he continues to renew me daily through his love and mercy.

I found a number of references in scripture referring to renewal or rebirth and the one that struck me the strongest was Titus 3:3-5
At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing and rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

2 comments:

Paula said...

I love that Scripture! Thank you for your timely words, Linda.

Paula said...

And you're right. The LORD is never lost. I've found that so much of renewal is that deep abiding believing place inside that says whether or not I "feel" Him, I "know" He will never leave or forsake me. He always loves me. He never disappears, though for whatever reasons only HE understands, sometimes He removes that sense of His being close and asks me just to trust that He is.

 
Copyright ACFW Colorado | Layout and Graphic Design Eagle Designs