image: header

image: inkwell header

Welcome to The Inkwell, the blog site of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) of Colorado.

Each week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, you can find a wide variety of topics and insight
from inspiration to instruction to humor and more!

For detailed information on ACFW, click here to visit their main website.

______________________________________________________

Friday, January 23, 2009

Musings on My Writing Journey

Hello. My name is Daneen Padilla. I am the publicity agent for Worship! Write! Witness! in Colorado Springs. I came to WWW through the Colorado Christian Writers' Conference in Estes Park. Three years ago I attended my first CCWC. I left there with so much great information my mind felt as if it had just taken in the mental version of a bountiful Thanksgiving feast! The next year a fellow attendee told me about ACFW and WWW. I joined and have found it to be rewarding as well. Have you explored the website and seen all it has to offer? If not, I recommend you do—but be prepared to spend some time enjoying it.

Lately, I've been thinking about my writing journey. I began writing songs and poems as a child. I don't know where those items are now, and I probably would not want to read them. As a teen, friends told me my writing was good, and an English teacher suggested I take Creative Writing the next year. I did and enjoyed it! About 10 years ago I began writing with the desire to becoming published. In 2008 I was finally able to call myself "a published author."

Were the journey and the long years of hoping and waiting worth it? I believe it has been. During that time I have worked to develop my writing skills. I've asked God to use my hands to write His words. (Be careful what you ask for. There's a reason Paul says in Romans 12:4 that we are many parts but all one body. Those hands I prayed about function along with a head, a heart, and many other parts.) I have come to recognize the difference between when He is guiding me as I write and when I'm writing out of my head. Not surprising, He is a much better writer than I am!

Not only have my skills improved, so has my purpose in writing. As I think about the affect I want the words to have on those who read them, I'm reminded of the words in Luke 14:23, "So his master said, 'Go out into the country lanes and behind the hedges and urge anyone you find to come, so that the house will be full.'" NLT

Since I surrendered my writing to Him and His purpose, the desires of my heart for being published have changed. The new desires are being granted. Psalm 37:4 states, "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart." That doesn't mean if I delight myself in God He will give me whatever I want at the beginning of the journey. Rather, I've come to see it means He will plant His desires in my heart, and the granting of those desires will bring greater fulfillment than anything I could imagine on my own. (Isaiah 55:9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." NKJV)

So if the journey has been long and discouragement is pounding at the door, remember His words in Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." NKJV

God bless you!

Daneen Padilla
http://www.DaneenPadilla.com
Kingdom Adventures

1 comment:

Marjorie Vawter said...

Good post, Daneen. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your focus. Our relationship with God through Jesus Christ is so important in our writing. You've given me food for thought.

 
Copyright ACFW Colorado | Layout and Graphic Design Eagle Designs